In Winter, do you find yourself:
1. Tempted to forgo exercise for that extra hour in bed?
2. Hiding behind winter clothes as your skin dries out and your weight increases?
3. Reaching for an extra cup of coffee, a chocolate bar or an energy drink every time you need an energy boost?
If you answered yes to any, or all, of the above, then it’s time to make some changes! Getting your kicks with caffeine or remaining too sedentary during the winter months, can play havoc with your energy levels and the condition of your skin.
Try our 5 top tips so you emerge into Spring like a butterfly – not a caterpillar!
1. Eat protein and fibre-rich foods to boost your heart, muscle and digestive health.
2. Maintain a steady blood sugar level by eating small, frequent meals that include complex carbohydrates and protein. This way you will avoid that afternoon slump where your good intentions come undone!
3. Ensure your Vitamin B and iron levels are stocked up by eating wholegrains, dairy, egg yolks for Vitamin B and fish and meat for iron. Vitamin B has an impact on the health of your skin and muscles. Iron is responsible for red blood cells as well as metabolism, immunity and mental sharpness.
4. Rather than curling up with endless cups of hot chocolate and coffee, ensure you keep as hydrated as you would in Summer with water and herbal teas.
5. Keep moving! Every bit of exercise counts towards a better metabolism and healthier skin. Even if you can’t manage 30 minutes a day in one stretch, try doing 10 minutes three times a day.
Small changes can go a long way – you’ll be amazed at how different you feel – and look!